Tags: allergies, bronchitis, concerned, diseases, drugs, health, least, medications, respiratory, sick

Why do I keep getting bronchitis? Help.

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Respiratory Diseases

6,096 words with 5 Comments; publish: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:34:00 GMT; (90091.80, « »)

I am getting very concerned as to why I keep getting bronchitis. I get it at least 2 times a year and am very sick with it. I do have allergies and have had surgery for acid reflux. Does anyone else get bronchitis this often? I am starting to think something might really be wrong. Family doctor is trying all sorts of allergy meds and inhalers but... I am a 38 year old female in otherwise good health. Please help, I can't afford to be sick so much.

Thanks for your input.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 5 Comments
    • Hmm, well, when I was younger, like from age 5 or so until 15, I tended to get 3 or so colds a year (as kids do) but every one would go to my chest and I'd get bronchitis. I wasn't THAT sick, but I'd take 1-3 days off school...then it just abruptly stopped. I'd still get 1-2 colds a year but they were just confined to the nose.

Then when I was about 20 I started smoking and I found once a year I'd get this horrid bronchitis cough thing that'd make me feel like death for about 3 days and then the cough would remain for about 3 weeks. Ugh. Disgusting.

I quit smoking last July and have had 4 colds since (I usually don't get that many, but *shrug* I dunno) but no cough whatsoever.

Maybe your body is run down? Allergies can cause excess mucous which can lead to a susceptability to bronchial coughs...if you take anti-biotics each time, this may not help. I've not had to have them for many, many years and am pleased, cause I do worry they can actually weaken the immune system.

Good luck. Bronchitis sucks.

#1; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:02:00 GMT
    • I got a really bad case of bronchitis when I was a about 35 years old. I felt like I had pneumonia, but the doctor said it wasn't. But after that I noticed I would get sick about twice a year (usually in winter) with a cold that would end up in my chest and linger for a few weeks. After several years of this, I went for allergy testing and took shots for 4 years. I would still get sick, but not quite as often. After the 4 years were up, I went back for a check up and restesting only to learn that my allergies had NOT improved and I had ASTHMA! What a rip off for taking all those shots all those years. I am now on asthma medication and hardly ever get sick but still have the inflammation in the airways. Two years ago, I had the dreaded cough and it ended up deep in my chest and I had to get on an oral steroid to get over it. You might want to get checked for asthma.
      #2; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:03:00 GMT
    • Rangiet,

I'm 32, and develop combination cold/bronchitis episodes at least 2x a year, no matter what I do. Though I can't stop them from occuring, I have learned to manage the situation so that the cold will no longer turn into bronchitis.

10 years ago, I was very frustrated at what was a clear pattern. I would get a cold, which would start in the head. Sometimes it would immediately move into my lungs, other times I'd have the cold for 1 weeks, then have a full recovery for 2 days, only on the 3rd day to develop bronchitis. I felt like I was doomed, because once the bronchitis started, it would take 4-5 weeks to get over the bronchitis.

I suspected that the bronchitis might not be a bacterial infection, but simply my lungs and nasal passages over-producing mucous in response to the cold. I began thinking that if I could reduce the mucous, I might not experience the symptoms of bronchitis. At the same time, a researcher at University of Virginia came out with a study demonstrating that a combination of a decongestent ( Pseudoephedrine ) and anti-inflammatory agent (like Advil)absolutley shortened the duration of cold/bronchitis symptoms.

So I began testing this theory, and have used this method every time I feel the first symptoms of a cold. What I do is immediately begin taking pseudoephedrine pills around the clock. I never miss a dose. I also take Advil, but found that I can skip it. If I begin taking the pseudoephedrine tablets before I "puss out" from the cold, I can prevent all that pus and mucous from forming to begin with. If the mucous doesn't form, it doesn't get into my lungs, and I don't get bronchitis. I have to stay on the pseudoephedrine until the very last day of the cold (usually about 10 days). But the miracle is, that my colds no longer turn into bronchitis. During the last 10 years, I wasn't able to get pseudoephedrine at one point, and i developed the bronchitis. With my next cold, I went back on the pseudoephedrine, and I had no bronchitis.

Pseudoephedrine is no longer sold on the pharmacy shelves in most states due to meth addicts using it to make meth. But it IS available without a prescription behind the counters of most pharmacies. You usually have to sign a register at the pharmacy with your name and addresss when you buy a pack.

The stuff that's sold OTC, that's replaced the pseudoephedrine, is called Phenylephrine - and this stuff doesn't work at all. Not for mucous-makers like us. So the brands that used to contain pseudoephedrine have replaced the OTC versions with phenylephrine, but you can still get the original versions behind the coutner fromthe pharmacist, without a prescription. You can also get generic forms of pseudoephedrine, which I prefer. I'd rather not take stuff like Nyquil or Sudafed, because I prefer the pure pseudoephedrine tablets.

To sleep at night with a cold, I just add in something like a Tylenol "simply sleep".

I promise that this works wonders!

#3; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:04:00 GMT
    • Thanks for your advice! I appreciate you all taking the time. My doctor has now put me on Advair. I hope it works!
      #4; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:06:00 GMT
    • I too have/had allergies (you figure that one out, one time I have allergies when tested others not) and I had three cases of bronchitis in one year, Idon't smoke never did, so I am with you as to why.

I think the ace inhibitor was the culprit, not sure, but advair surly has helped me breath better and takes care of my exercise induced breathing problems, not sure if asthma or what it is.

RR